Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Update 8/20

The Level-1 Trainer course at Reebok Crossfit One was great. I learned a ton about fitness, the finer points of their foundational movements, nutrition, programing, and coaching. It was a lot of fun and the coaches were terrific.

Since then, I've been increasing running to get my legs ready for the season. With that, I've cut down on the quantity of non-running metcon workouts, which leaves me with running endurance and intervals along with strength. I finished off a cycle of 5/3/1 and this week I'm starting a new cycle of 5/3/1 and I'm adding a Diane Fu oly program for runners as assistance work.

I'm playing around with a few things in the strength realm and trying to figure out what I want to use with the XC Team next month. We've done a p90x type thing in the past, which has been OK for exposure to the weight room and some strength ideas. This year I want to go with a multi joint, functional movement, plan. I have the pieces down, but haven't decided how to fit them together yet.

Monday
5/3/1 week 1 Deadlift (with squat assistance work)
Then 3 sets of 5x1 Snatch increasing the weight for each set, but never getting heavy. Focusing on technique and getting comfortable in the movement.
Then worked up to a heavy set of 3 Front Squats to finish it off.

That was all I had time for. I had to head down to Mass to cut down a tree for my sister.

Tuesday
Strength
5/3/1 week 1 Shoulder Press (with bench press assistance work)
I'm trying something different with the assistance work for this cycle. We'll see how it goes.

Endurance
Ran 3.5 miles at a steady pace over rolling hills. Focused on holding good form.
Rolled out legs and stretched.

Metcon
If you're not going to run today, or if you're pressed for time, try this one:
3 rounds for time
21 Thrusters
12 Burpees

Pick a weight for thrusters where you can get to 10-15 without stopping. 95/65 is rx'd for this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment